This week we submitted our first iPhone app to Apple for approval.
It’s a companion app for our Movie Collector software, not a stand-alone product. Users can catalog their DVD collection using Movie Collector, then export their collection to the iPhone viewer app, so they can always have their collection with them (e.g. at the DVD store, at friends, etc..).
Why iPhone apps?
You may be wondering why Collectorz.com is moving into this market. Do I really expect to generate serious profits by selling iPhone apps?
No, I don’t. I think it is quite hard to make money selling iPhone apps.
Of course we all know the success stories of developers making millions with a small app selling for $0.99. But in my opinion the growing number of apps in the AppStore makes it harder and harder to reach serious sales volumes. Your chances of getting any visibility in the AppStore are just too low, even for a brilliant mass-market application. And for niche apps like ours it’s next to impossible.
And the trend for iPhone apps to be priced between $0.99 and $4.99 doesn’t exactly make it easier to make some profits. And of course Apple wants 30% too.
So why are we developing iPhone apps anyway?
- iPhone apps are a perfect fit for our cataloging software. One of the reasons people catalog their collections is to prevent duplicate purchases. Users print lists to take with them to the store, or export their list to CSV files on their phones or PDAs. A collection viewer app on the iPhone makes this easier (and cooler looking).
- Our iPhone apps are add-ons for our existing Windows and Mac apps, so we can sell them to existing customers and promote them to new customers on our website. No exposure in the AppStore needed.
- Because it’s a niche application, we can go for a price that is a little higher than that of the average iPhone app. We have set the price at $9.99.
- We will be creating five Collectorz.com iPhone apps, for which we can share most of the code. This helps to keep development costs relatively low.
- Offering iPhone apps will be good USP for the Collectorz.com software, something our competitors do not have. In other words, they may help sell more of our of Windows and Mac software.
Clz Movies blurb and screenshots
Did you ever come home with a new DVD, only to find out that you already owned it? Annoying isn’t it? And costly too.
And did a friend ever ask if you have this or that movie…
… and you couldn’t remember?
Movie Collector and this companion iPhone app Clz Movies can help you avoid embarrassing situations like this, in 3 easy steps:
1. First catalog your DVD collection with the Movie Collector software (available for Windows and Mac OS X).
2. Then export your collection list to the Clz Movies software on your iPhone or iPod Touch, including movie information, edition details and the DVD cover images.
3. Now just always take your iPhone or iPod Touch with you to the store, so that you can check which DVDs you already own and which ones are on your wishlist.
– Avoid Duplicate DVD Purchases
– Manage your DVD Wish List
– Show off your DVD collection
– Have cool movie facts at your fingertips
Let’s hope Apple approves it soon. I can’t wait to see what happens when it’s finally available in the AppStore.